Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Cooper's Hawk is back!

We have had a pair of Cooper's Hawks faithfully coming back to our neighborhood to nest year after years; over 5 years I think.
We have been seeing it quite a bit the last few days, flying over, calling, in the woods, and today, right at the feeder! We've seen it at least three times today already, this morning I saw it, right at the window, William saw both of them this afternoon, and it came to our feeder very recently. I saw it flying now the trail that leads out back, and towards our house. I scrambled up and didn't even wait to see if it was actually coming to the feeder before I started calling out "Cooper's Hawk at the feeder! Cooper's Hawk at the feeder!" I got the camera, and sure enough, the Cooper's Hawk was sitting in a tree right by the bird feeder.

We are seeing a lot of other birds around here too, an Oregon Junco (which is rare!), Golden-crowned Kinglet (Hoorah!) , Brown Creeper, Yellow-rumped Warblers (Yay!! They're back!), Song Sparrows, Fox Sparrows, lots of Grackles and Red-winged Blackbirds, Meadowlarks, Killdeer, Northern Harriers, Mallards, Wood Ducks, Merlins, Robins, Kestrels, and Red-tailed Hawks. I saw a Northern Flicker and some Pelicans. William saw a Bluebird, a Turkey Vulture. We heard an American Woodcock and a Northern Saw-whet Owl. THE SPRING BIRDS ARE HERE!! And more will be arriving soon! I am so excited! There are loads of birds singing their hearts out outside!
Sorry, you'll have to wait until I post more Spring Birding posts, but don't worry, it will hopefully be soon. In a day or two. So stay tuned!!

Also, yesterday I got my Birdathon T-Shirt. Everyone who participates in the Great Canadian Birdathon receives a free T-shirt!

I got some pretty good pictures of the hawk, here they are!

Enjoy!

Cooper's Hawk
 It might be wondering why there are a whole bunch of people staring at it through the window, ruining it's chance to catch songbirds.
Cooper's Hawk
Thanks for reading! Comment and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment