Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Evening Grosbeak and Owl

A few days ago, when I was playing outside, the Great-horned Owl flew out of some trees! How exciting! I call it the Great-horned Owl, because it comes back every winter. For quite a few years, it has come back to our yard for the winter, sometimes we would see it every day, sometimes we'd see it a few times. It came back very early this year.
The day before I heard some jays mobbing something, I didn't pay much attention to it, but now that I think about it, they must have been mobbing the owl.

A little while later I saw two yellow birds in a tree. Evening Grosbeaks! Their calls confirmed it. I had heard the calls earlier in the day, but didn't know what the were, until I saw the birds.
Evening Grosbeak
There was a male and female in the tree, the male's colors are brighter than the female. I ran back and got the camera. When we tried to get a little closer, they flew off. We found them in some other trees, a bit deeper in the woods, so we couldn't get too close to them. We still managed some decent photos though!

Evening Grosbeak

We didn't get any good photos of the female bird. We have heard them a few times since the first time we saw them.
Evening Grosbeak

Evening Grosbeak


I've heard one before, and it's a completely new bird for William.
The temperatures are getting colder now, the feel of winter is in the air.

No comments:

Post a Comment