Sunday, March 30, 2014

Road Trip to the East - Ontario Birds (Part 2)

This is the fourth post in the Road Trip to the East series. See my other posts:

We continued seeing lot's of birds at the feeders. There are never a shortage of Mourning Doves too.
Three Mourning Doves sitting in a tree
 The property has a really cool forest behind it which you can walk through to the Credit River. The ice storm had knocked down a lot of trees in the woods, sometimes blocking the path. Geese were very common at the river, and everywhere else.
I took daily walks down to the river with my brother.
Canada Geese flying
I had gotten a picture of these birds. I thought they were both Common Goldeneye's, but when I looked closer on the computer, I could tell, on of them wasn't a goldeneye. I wasn't quite sure what it was, merganser maybe. I looked up what mergansers looked like, that was for sure what it was, a Common Merganser, which is a new bird for me. I was quite lucky to identify it first try. The bird on the right is a female goldeneye.
Common Merganser (left) and female Common Goldeneye (right)
 Here's another female Common Goldeneye

One day, when we were just getting back to the house, we noticed something in the tree, a bird, a hawk, a Cooper's or Sharp-shinned Hawk! After a while we identified it as a Sharp-shinned.
Sharp-shinned Hawk
 We thought there had been a hawk living around here, we had found remains of a cardinal and cedar waxwing. I was lucky to get this picture of it flying.
I am really impressed with this photo of it flying away.
 To my surprise, one day a Red-winged Blackbird showed up at the feeders. I'm not used to having them actually come to the feeders.
Red-winged Blackbird
 I had lot's of time sitting in front of the feeders with the camera, so I tried to get some flying pictures. I was really successful as you can see from the Red-breasted Nuthatch pictures below.
Red-breasted Nuthatch flying. 

Taking a seed.

Stay tuned for the next part!

No comments:

Post a Comment