Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The End of 2014

The year is ending here with a beautiful pink and yellow sunset, what a great way to finish off!
As we all very well know, today is the last day of the year, it also happens to be me and my twin brother's birthday, we are turning thirteen. I have been interested in birds for over two years, and have been blogging since June 2013.
Today I got a great birthday surprise. I was out walking the dog, and right in front of me was two Red Crossbills! My brother had seen some several weeks earlier, which tied him with me for most species this year. It is a lifer, and now that I saw it, I am leading by one species (if I remember correctly)!

I have seen many many lifers this year, this year I started more seriously birding. I don't know exactly how many, I only really started using eBird this year. It has been a fantastic year and I have learned sooo much more about birds, with a lot of help from Christian Artuso. Thank you so much Christian for taking the time with us, we have learned a lot! And you have helped us see lot's of new birds!

The Churchill trip was a huge highlight for the year, it gave me the opportunity to see lots of new plants and wildlife.

Here are some of my favorite picutres from 2014. But there are so so so many more pictures I would have liked to add, it seems a shame to keep it down to this little (which is actually a lot). I might make another post later with more pictures.

The Mississippi Kite was a big highlight for the year, a very very unusual bird for Winnipeg.
Mississippi Kite

There were so many fantastic pictures from Churchill, but I tried to keep it to only a few.
Arctic Tern

Polar bear mother and cub
Arctic Tern shaking off water
Barn Swallow

Yellow Warbler

Cedar Waxwing

Red-eyed Vireo

Tree Swallow

Harris' Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Baltimore Oriole

Magnolia Warbler

Red-breasted Nuthatch

American White Pelican

Long-eared Owl

Killdeer

Red-tailed Hawk

Pileated Woodpecker

Barred Owl

Northern Lights

Great Gray Owl

Great-horned Owl

Have a happy new year and Happy birding!

Canadian Birding

No comments:

Post a Comment