Saturday, May 17, 2014

Oak Hammock Marsh Birding (Part 1)

Okay, I am finally getting to write these posts. I just haven't got to it the past couple weeks.

I am doing it in two different parts because I got so many fabulous photo's I don't want to leave out of my blog. 

Christian arrived at our house at 7:30, and we set out to Oak Hammock Marsh. We stopped in Lockport on the way to see if there were any pelicans on the river. We were in luck, three pelicans were swimming right by the bank. We got some really good pictures that I am really happy with. 
American White Pelican
 Here's another shot of it

We continued the drive to the marsh, but after we spotted a pair of merlins we stopped to take some pictures.
Merlin


I got a good shot of it flying.

On the Oak Hammock Marsh road we saw lots of Killdeer and a Pied-billed Grebe. I really like these water birds. We also saw a Vesper's Sparrow, which is a lifer and a Savannah Sparrow which is a yearer.
Pied-billed Grebe
Here's a photo of some of the Killdeer.
Killdeer

We walked around the marsh on the paths seeing quite a few cool birds. One of which was a female Northern Harrier chasing two Grey Partridge
female Northern Harrier
We saw a flock of Yellow-headed Blackbird as well as tonnes of Red-winged Blackbirds
A flock of Yellow-headed Blackbirds
Here's a Red-winged Blackbird standing on some cool ice formations
Red-winged Blackbird
We also saw quite a few ground squirrels, one we got really really close to, not but two feet. I got such good pictures I couldn't leave them out
Richardson's Ground Squirrel
They're so cute!
Richarson's Ground Squirrel
Eventually, after we got superb photos, it scampered down it's hole.
Richarson's Ground Squirrel

Stay tuned for the next part!!

No comments:

Post a Comment