Friday, April 14, 2017

Spring Update 2017

I'm very sorry for my recent inactivity. I hope to be more active in posting now.
It has been pretty warm for several weeks now. All the snow has melted, and the ground is starting to dry up a little bit. Yesterday the temperature was +18 C. Slowly and steadily the birds are coming back, with new spring arrivals almost every day.


Black-capped Chickadee

I went to the Hawk Watch at St. Adolpe (just south of Winnipeg) several weeks ago to see some early raptor arrivals. Raptors we saw there were Bald Eagles, Red-tailed Hawks, Rough-legged Hawks, Sharp-shinned Hawk, and Northern Harrier.

Bald Eagles (adult and immature)


immature Bald Eagle

Another bird that has arrived is the Cooper's Hawk, which has faithfully been returning to our yard for many years. It landed on our deck rail one morning and my brother Matthew snapped some photos.
Cooper's Hawk

Cooper's Hawk

For a number of weeks already we've had Purple Finches around our feeders and singing jubilantly in the trees.
Purple Finch

We've also had a great abundance of Golden-crowned Kinglets in our yard, which is always a joy. They are such friendly little birds.

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Golden-crowned Kinglet
Brown Creepers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets have also been present in our yard.

Brown Creeper

Ruby-crowned Kinglet

I've also been to Birds Hill Park at night to listen for owls, which was unsuccessful. We did however hear a handful of American Woodcocks and Wilson's Snipes. 
I also saw my first Yellow-rumped Warbler of the year a few days ago and Fox Sparrows have returned.

I will try to post more regularly now, especially as more and more birds return, so keep an eye out for future posts. 

In May I am going on a family trip to Europe. To Rome, Hungary and the Netherlands. I'm planning to do plenty of birding there, so there will be many posts after we get home from that. 
But for now have a blessed Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment