Monday, April 24, 2017

Some More Spring Photos

Although the ground is covered with snow now, here are some more photos from a few days ago when it wasn't.

Last Thursday we went to Oak Hammock Marsh again (third day in a row). We didn't see anything particularly exciting or different from the previous days, besides some skunks.

Canada Goose

Canada Goose
 This muskrat on the trail looked like it had a piece of it's fur ripped off.
Muskrat

Two of my brothers and a friend walking the trails of Oak Hammock

The splendid evening sunset made for beautiful lighting for photos.

Canvasbacks

Mourning Dove

Killdeer

American Robin

We saw a number of hares running through the fields, much larger than the ordinary bunny rabbit


We walked right by a skunk when we we walking on the trails, it was peering warily at us from the reeds. We encountered another one on the side of the road when we were driving. It swam through a ditch, and my brother William got some photos of it as it ran off into the sunset.



Last Saturday my brother Matthew, a friend and I biked 60km to Patricia Beach on Lake Winnipeg. Although we didn't see as many birds as I was hoping (in fact we saw very few birds), I did see my first of the year Turkey Vulture and Tree Swallow and was able to get some pictures of a Bald Eagle as it sat in a tree beside the beach.

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

Bald Eagle

Today is snowy and chilly. I went for a short walk before it really started snowing and the most notable birds I saw were Eastern Phoebe and Golden-crowned Kinglets, both common around here.

Eastern Phoebe

At the feeders are many juncos, a few Fox Sparrows, a decent amount of Purple Finches, and I saw my first of the year Chipping Sparrow beneath the feeders today.
Fox Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco

That's all for now, happy birding!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! 60km? I don't do that in a day, except on a very rare occasion! Nice photos of the Baldie and Geese. I like the Fox Sparrow - we don't get too many around here.

    ReplyDelete