Friday, December 13, 2013

Owl Birding Day

For the past week or so there has been a Great-horned Owl staying in our small forest. It has been coming back year after year, for many years. I have been waiting to make a post when I get a picture of it. A couple times I went out and saw it, but never had time to get my camera out of my coat (I keep it in there when outside and not using to keep it warm).

 I was going to go out today to look for pellets under trees so I have an idea of where it is roosting (as Christian Artuso suggested to me). It saw me way before I saw it. It flew up and away. I never had enough time to take out the camera. Suddenly I heard something behind me and another one flew over me. I was surprised but quickly snapped a photo. I was so excited! Finally I got picture! My first picture of a Great-horned Owl!
Great-horned Owl flying

On the way back I watched other birds, there were a lot of Downy Woodpeckers and chickadees.
Downy Woodpecker
 I watched the birds at the feeder for a moment and this Chickadee at a seed block
Black-capped Chickadee
 I was lucky and snapped a picture just as it was flying away!
Black-capped Chickadee flying with food.

2 comments: