Thursday, January 16, 2014

Three Birding Days

Since it's warmed up quite a bit here I've taken that to my advantage and done some birding walks. It's been around -15 C, but last night it was 2 C!!! But we were in a bit of a storm so I never got to go outside. Over the past three days I have a birding walk around our yard each day. I have seen magpies, the Great-horned Owl, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, White-breasted Nuthatches, but most of all chickadees! I made ebird checklist for all of them also!

Day one: My twin brother came with me .I saw a squirrel on the way outback. Saw a magpie and the Great-horned Owl. Saw White-breasted Nuthatches, Downy Woodpeckers and Chickadees.
Squirrel
ebird checklist:  Tue Jan 14, 2014

Day Two: Went out by my self to look for magpies. Took some pictures of a magpie through bushes! My first decent picture of a magpie! My brother had good ones but not me. I really like magpies, they look very nice.
Black-billed Magpie
 Got some really nice pictures of one flying. I noticed it had something in it's mouth when I looked at the pictures later. I think it looks like a cheesy. :)
Black-billed Magpie flying

Black-billed Magpie flying

Black-billed Magpie flying
 ebird checklist: Wed Jan 15, 2014

Day Three: My brother came with me, he used the camera while I used my binoculars. We found this eaten mouse or something impaled on a thorn. This is what shrikes do with their prey they catch. I thought it was very interesting to see.
Eaten mouse or something impaled on a thorn, a shrike has been here.

Canadian Birding. ;). Just kidding, it's not actually that deep.

Black-capped Chickadee
ebird checklist: Thu Jan 16, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment